Thursday, January 8, 2009

Golden Globe Nominations - Movies

The movie awards season is upon us! This Sunday (Jan 11) at 8:00 p.m. (7:00 Central) marks the 66th Golden Globe Awards. These are, admittedly, not my favorite awards in the business and somehow they don't quite have the prestige of the Academy Awards, but it's always fun to see and critique the nominations.

You can find a complete listing of the nominations here:

http://www.goldenglobes.org/nominations/index.html

I won't labor over typing them in this post nor will I comment on all of the categories. However, I do have some reactions to certain nomination choices and general comments about some of the nominees in general.

Best Motion Picture: Drama

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - I'm actually pretty tired of hearing about this movie. Maybe I just watched too much t.v. over winter break, but far too many commercial breaks included a promo for this film. And perhaps were it not over-hyped so much I would consider seeing it. The main idea is rather provocative -- instead of growing old, the main character (Brad Pitt) grows young. It sounds like it plays off the idea that life can only be understood backwards. All in all, a thought-provoking premise. However, there has been so much buzz about the movie that I can't currently bring myself to see it. Maybe when it comes out on video...

Revolutionary Road - I might actually have to see this one sometime soon. Pro: Its leading stars, Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio, are both very talented and have both been pretty classy with their role choices in the past. Con: when watching the movie, I might snicker inappropriately when I think to myself "ROSE!" or "I'll never let go, Jack!" It will definitely be interesting to see what dynamic their chemistry takes in this film. I'm guessing their acting styles have matured since "Titanic."

Slumdog Millionaire - I've been told that I need to see this film. According to IMDB, the basic plot is about a young Indian teen contestant on the Hindi version of "Who Wants to be a Millionaire." And that is about as much as I know about the film...

Other nominees: Frost/Nixon, and The Reader
(No opinion about who should win -- I haven't seen any of them yet!)


Best Motion Picture: Musical or Comedy

Burn After Reading - I watched most of this movie with my mouth hanging open and a very confused look on my face. I give the movie props for its originality and fresh storyline, but... huh. Yes, it is entertaining, yes, funny in some parts and yes, I might watch it again, if only to better understand it in its entirety. Would I recommend it to people? I suppose, but with a few qualifications. This movie is for people who: i) have an open sense of humor, ii) do not mind weird movies, and iii) do not mind being a little confused. Just be aware that this is not your typical comedy.

Mamma Mia! - I was surprised to see this nominated. Really, am I that spoiled by the mainstage performance that I completely underestimated the gem that is this film reproduction? For sure, I do not reccommend seeing this movie in lieu of seeing the actual stage performance. Furthermore, I think whoever casted this movie should have payed a little more attention to singing talent and who actually fit the roles instead of who had the biggest name. More on that mini-rant below. This movie does NOT deserve a Golden Globe.

Other nominees: Happy-Go-Lucky, In Bruges, and Vicky Christina Barcelona
Who should win: Undecided, but not Mamma Mia!

Best Animated Feature Film

Nominees: Bolt, Kung-Fu Panda, and Wall-E
Who should win: ?

I have seen all three nominees and this is a tough call. All of them are funny, original, and generally have a good messege. My personal favorite to win is Bolt, though I think Wall-E might have the better chances. Wall-E's commentary on our throw-away economy makes an important point that I think might appeal to whoever gives out those little globes. However, I do think the film's resolution is a little too simplistic and unrealistically optimistic. I suppose I favor Bolt because it's simply a feel-good movie that made me giggle a lot. Neither would I be dissappointed if Kung-Fu Panda won the globe, though I predict that it's not the forerunner.

Best Actress: Drama & Musical/Comedy

I can't really comment on any of the nominees for the subcategory of drama -- again, I haven't seen any of the movies to know. However, I do have a few comments about the musical/comedic nominees.

Frances McDormand (Burn After Reading) - I am still unsure about how I feel about the movie. However, McDormand was very good in her role. She plays an ordinary, insecure, but determined woman who works at a gym and she comically manages to screw up quite a few things for the government without quite knowing what she's doing. Perhaps a female Forrest Gump?

Meryl Streep (Mamma Mia!) - Gah, no! She did not manage to capture the correct emotion for the character. I felt like they cast Meryl Streep because she could sing and she would help hype the movie. I literally groaned at the part where she's moonily writhing on the roof of her house while singing (I forget which musical number). It felt contrary to Donna's strong character. Fine, the movie might not be complete wash and Meryl might be able to belt out a good number or two. But really, not an award-winning performance. Someone else, perhaps lesser known, could've done the job much better. What were the nominators thinking?


Emma Thompson (Last Chance Harvey) - Yay Emma Thompson! I have not yet seen this movie, but it looks like it could be a charming romantic comedy without falling prey to predictability or common formulas.

Other Nominees: Sally Hawkins (Happy-Go-Lucky) and Rebecca Hall (Vicky Christina Barcelona)
Who should win: Not Meryl, but otherwise not adequately informed

Best Actor

I have but one stand-out opinion about any of the nominees for Best Actor roles: Yay Dustin Hoffman!! He has a history of amazing roles and I hope that "Last Chance Harvey" does not disappoint. Not having seen any of the movies for which actors are nominated, however, I cannot judge how stiff the competition will be.

Best Supporting Actor

Did the nomination committee simply draw some name(s) out of a hat to fill out the nominee ticket for this category? How in the world did Tom Cruise get nominated for his role in "Tropic Thunder?" Fine, he shakes his booty to the lyrics "Apple Bottom jeans, boots with the fur." Fine, the role is not like any other that he has previously played. But award-winning? I thought this was merely the type of role he had left once he fell out of Hollywood's spotlight.


And really, Heath Ledger deserves to win for "The Dark Knight." He managed to create a character that is so thoroughly despisable, unrational, complex, intriguing, and evokes deep discomfort. The performance is convincing and multi-dimensional. The only possible competition I forsee is Philip Seymour Hoffman (Doubt), who seems to be a favorite with award committees and who has beat out Ledger in the past. However, I think that this is Ledger's Golden Globe.



Other nominees: Robert Downey Jr. (Tropic Thunder) and Ralph Fiennes (The Duchess)
Who should win: Heath Ledger

No comments:

Post a Comment